I took an Amazon AWS t1.micro instance for a spin the other day. A free server is not to be sniffed at. Of course I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on it.
I was getting a lot of locale errors, things like this:
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LC_MESSAGES = "en_GB.UTF-8",
LC_COLLATE = "en_GB.UTF-8",
LC_CTYPE = "en_GB.UTF-8",
LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
are supported and installed on your system.
I thought this would just go away by itself, but it didn’t – so I had to fix it. Note: I’m in the UK, so I’m using en_GB as my locale, change yours to en_US or whatever.
Wow – a day of fixing loads of niggling little Asterisk problems!
My calling plan gives me unlimited free calls as long as those calls are under an hour in duration. Pretty standard BT stuff. If you do make a call over an hour you don’t just get charged for that bit of the call over the hour, oh no, you get charged for the whole call.
Anyway – we have the technology to defeat them!
In FreePBX under General Settings change your Asterisk Outbound Dial command options to include:
which will drop the call after 3360000ms (56 minutes) and should alert you at 3240000ms.
The above works very well and drops the calls, but without a bit of extra magic you don’t get the warning in your ear – it just drops the call. To enable the warning tones etc edit this:
substituting “beep” for what ever noise you want to hear.
By also adding:
to the Dial command options in #1 you can press *1 when you’re in a call to start recording. It plays the courtesy tone to both parties though.
I’ve been having this odd problem since I got my Asterisk box back up and running in that whenever a call came in and hung up I’d lose internet connectivity for a few seconds.
I tracked it down to the router dropping the PPP connection, which initially made me think that the polarity reversal indicating the call had hung up was causing the modem to b0rk, perhaps due to the distance between the phone socket and the modem, or my dodgy cat5 cabling, or something.
Turns out it was none of the above. EDIT: Bit hasty there. Hasn’t fixed it al all.
points to exactly my problem. I disabled the DDoS protection and no more dropped internet connections. I don’t worry about DDoS attacks too much, so for now I’m going to leave it off.
UPDATE: None of the above actually worked. In the end it turned out the modem had simply broken. The NV RAM wasn’t remembering the config after a proper reboot and it was generally broken. So I replaced the whole thing with a new DrayTek modem. The old one did pretty well, it worked perfectly for about 3 years non-stop.
DrayTek VoIP Asterisk dropping ADSL PPP drop DDoS SIP