I took an Amazon AWS t1.micro instance for a spin the other day. A free server is not to be sniffed at. Of course I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on it.
I was getting a lot of locale errors, things like this:
perl: warning: Setting locale failed. perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings: LANGUAGE = (unset), LC_ALL = (unset), LC_MESSAGES = "en_GB.UTF-8", LC_COLLATE = "en_GB.UTF-8", LC_CTYPE = "en_GB.UTF-8", LANG = "en_US.UTF-8" are supported and installed on your system.
I thought this would just go away by itself, but it didn’t – so I had to fix it. Note: I’m in the UK, so I’m using en_GB as my locale, change yours to en_US or whatever.
export LANGUAGE=en_GB.UTF-8 sudo locale-gen en_GB.UTF-8 sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
And you should be all set.